Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

My dog is 4 years old I have had her since she was a pup and she has never lost hair like this. She is a husky/golden retreiver mix so I understand she has two coats and will shed on a regular basis. I brought her to the vet 2 weeks ago and he gave me meds for her. she is out of the meds and they helped a little but not enough to make a difference. I believe she has really dry skin so what can i do at home to help her... I have been thinking about cutting her hair and then applying a conditioner but I dont know if this will help......



if you have an idea what to do please help.



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

Please call your vet and find out what the meds are for... If it was for a thyroid condition... your dog NEEDS those meds, and keeping them from her won't help. If it is a thyroid problem, then your dog won't see visible improvement for a while.



If the meds weren't for a thyroid problem, then I'd definitely ask your vet to run a TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 Thyroid tests. Golden Retrievers are notorious for being hypothyroid which will cause dry skin, shedding, and other problems.



Don't bathe your dog... That will just remove the oils she has naturally from her skin and her fur. This will make the problem worse.



Good luck.



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

Call your Vet and explain the situation. There could be an under lying problem that you or your are not aware of.



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

Try adding a little olive oil to his/her diet. It has helped with my 3 Year old Pomeranian



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

my rotty has very dry skin, after spending a lot of money at vet, finally got something at tractor supply nutro brand dog food. since she is large breed you can try nutricoat from tractor supply it is less expensive, just put a few tablespoons on dry food (according to weight) in couple of weeks you will tell difference in coat wont shed so much will be so shiny.



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

There are products at pet stores for this problem. We use DermCare Dietary Supplement liquid for my dog. You squirt on top of dry dog food. It's supposed to help dry skin. Our dog wasn't losing hair, but she had dry skin... but she's not a shedding dog. There were also other products to choose from. I don't think cutting your dogs hair will help. Ask a vet before trying something like that.



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

You need to get a good slicker brush (the ones that have the tines that are bent), a shed rake %26amp; brush everyday until you have most of the coat brushed out.



Another suggestion is to take him to a groomer who can do all of this, plus they have power dryers that blow out the loose coat. This is probably your best bet cause they face this all the time.



Brushing will stimulate the skin %26amp; remove some of the dander. Brushing will bring the skin into condition. The dry skin is typical for this time of year but brushing will help a lot.



I have stripped many a dog like yours for the summer. Usually twice a year. Once after the dog has thrown his coat from the heat %26amp; once before it gets too cold, usually about the first or second week in September. So that he will have time for his coat to grow back for the cold weather.



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

Shedding big time is a sign of poor nutrition. What kind of dog food does she eat? You may have to look at the ingredients and change her food to a high quality.



Don't do it cold turkey cause she could have bathroom issues! mix it 50/50 for a few feedings, then 25/75...etc.



Also try vitamin supplements too, she may not be get enough in her diet. Best of luck to you, and if it gets worse I would call your VET back, and maybe there something more going on that a simple blood test could show.



My dog is losing a ton of hair. What do I do??

take her to the vet as it could be sommething serious

No comments:

Post a Comment