Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My cat is losing hair right down his back (spine)?

It started about 2-3 weeks ago. He doesnt have fleas no rash his skin seems to be fine. He is also acting a little strange. He runs through the house like a maniac and sometimes he just lays in my sons room all day long which is unusal Any ideas ?



My cat is losing hair right down his back (spine)?

Have you noticed any change in his eating habits? Does he eat more than normal? Is he losing weight at all? It could be hypothyroidism. He could also be licking himself compulsively along the back and causing the hair loss himself. I would get this checked out by a vet, alopecia is not a good sign. Changes in behavior (the running and then laying around) are also a sign something could be wrong. Call your vet and see what they think, they may just suggest a topical treatment, or may want to do further testing (which should be done). Good luck.



My cat is losing hair right down his back (spine)?

Are you sure it doesn't have fleas? I know you checked but cats eat the fleas when they groom themselves. It makes it much harder to detect the fleas. If you have something like advantage or frontline flea treatment I think I would give them a treatment. If you are sure it is not fleas then it is time to get to the vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment